Change of TaLK Requirement for Criminal Record Check
For the 2011 TaLK(Teach and Learn in Korea) program, the requirements of Criminal Record(Background) Check have been changed recently.
TaLK scholars who has not lived in the same state since the senior high school
must file for the FBI Criminal Record Check in place of the State-level CRC (with an Apostille). Again, FBI CRC will replace the document of state level CRC.
* The applicants who has lived in the same state(for example, California state) just need a state-level CRC with an apostille.
YOU MUST VISIT THE FBI WEBSITE for FORMS and DETAILS at http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm.
Here are the general steps on how to obtain FBI CRC:
1. Complete Application information form
- You have to indicate “international request(VISA)” on the Reason for Request section of the Applicant Information Form.
2. Obtain a set of finger prints (at your local/state level police station)
- You have to indicate “to apply for the FBI Criminal Background Check needed for international request(VISA)” on the “Reason Fingerprinted” section of the Fingerprint Form.
3. Submit payment (there are two ways)
- Option 1: a money order or cashiers check of $18 U.S. dollars, payable to the Treasury of United States
- Option 2: pay by credit card using the credit card payment form
4. Review the FBI Identification Record Request Checklist
5. Mail all required items (applicant information form, fingerprint card, and payment) to the following address:
FBI CJIS Division ? Record Request
1000 Custer Hollow Road
Clarksburg, WV 26306
Note: Although the FBI employs the most efficient methods for processing these requests, processing times may take up to 12 weeks depending on the volume of requests received.
You can get the apostille at the state offices in http://www.swiss-bank.biz/apostille.php.
The U.S. Department of State will not issue an apostille for State-issued documents. But they will issue an apostille for the FBI-issued Criminal Record Check. The Criminal Record Check must include the FBI official's title and his/her signature must be legible. For the details, refer to http://www.state.gov/m/a/auth/index.htm.