- To provide international students with an opportunity to conduct advanced studies at higher educational institutions in Korea
- To develop global leaders and strengthen Korea-friendly networks worldwide
- Master's course 1 year of Korean language + 2 years of Master's course
- Doctoral course 1 year of Korean language + 3 years of Doctoral course
① The applicant and his/her parents must hold foreign citizenships.
* Applicants who hold Korean citizenship are not permitted to apply for this program.
② Applicants must be under 40 years of age of the selection year.
③ Applicants must hold a Bachelor's or Master's degree as of September 1st of the selection year.
* Applicants who have previously enrolled in or graduated from an undergraduate program, a master's program, or a doctoral program (including exchange program) in Korea are ineligible to apply for the program.
④ Applicants must maintain a grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.64 on a 4.0 scale, 2.80 on a 4.3 scale, 2.91 on a 4.5 scale, or grades/marks/score of 80%(out of 100%) or higher from the previously attended institution. If the applicant does not satisfy the above GPA requirements, he/she will be ineligible to apply to this program.
- 1st Selection: The 1st selection institutions (Overseas Korean embassies or Domestic designated universities) will draft a selections standard based on the criteria provisioned by NIIED, and will recommend qualified applicants according to its respective standards.
- 2nd Selection: The NIIED selection committee will select the most successful candidates from the pool of applicants recommended by the 1st selection institutions.
- 3rd Selection: Only candidates who were recommended by a Korean embassy and have passed the 2nd selection successfully will be evaluated for admission. Successful candidates will gain admission from at least one of the three universities.
- Airfare: Round-trip economy class ticket
- Monthly Allowance: 900,000 won (KRW) per month
- Research Allowance: Per Semester 210,000 won for scholars in the field of humanities and social sciences; 240,000 won for scholars in natural and mechanic sciences
- Relocation (Settlement) Allowance: 200,000 won upon arrival
- Language Training Fee: Full coverage
- Tuitions: All admission fees are waived by the host institution (university). The tuition will be provided for by NIIED.
- Dissertation Printing Costs: 500,000 ~ 800,000 won, depending on actual costs
- Medical Insurance: 20,000 won per month will be provided (limited coverage)
- Special funding for scholars who are proficient in the Korean language (TOPIK Level 5 or 6): 100,000 won per month