1. PROGRAM OBJECTIVES
○ Global Korea Scholarship is designed to provide international students with opportunities to study at higher educational institutions in Korea in pursuit of
academic degrees, which will enhance international education exchange and deepen mutual friendship between Korea and participating countries.
※ As Korean Government Scholarship Programs have been integrated and branded as Global Korea Scholarship in 2010, the name has been changed to GKS
2. ABOUT PROGRAMS
◈ Degree Programs
|Category||Master's Degree||Doctoral Degree||Research Program|
|Period||1 yr of Korean Language Program|
+ 2 yrs of degree program
1 year of Korean language program
+ 3 years of degree program
|6 months or 1 year|
◈ Available Fields of Study
○ Available Fields of Study
- Applicants can only apply to the universities and departments that are listed in the ‘University Information’ file attached under the GKS Notice post in Study in
Korea website. (www.studyinkorea.go.kr > Scholarships > GKS Notice)
- Academic programs offered during evenings (night school), short-term programs, online and distant-learning programs are not applicable in this scholarship program
- All applicants must hold citizenship of NIIED designated countries that are invited to take part in the GKS program.
- All applicants and their parents must NOT hold Korean citizenship. If an applicant or his/her parent(s) hold dual citizenship (one who have Korean citizenship and
citizenship of another country), he/she is NOT eligible to app ly.
○ Degree Requirements
- Master’s Program Applicant: Must hold a bachelor’s degree or a level of education equivalent to or higher than a bachelor’s degree.
- Doctoral Program Applicant: Must hold a master’s degree or a level of education equivalent to or higher than a master’s degree.
- Research Program Applicant: Must have received an invitation from one of the partner universities and must meet the criteria below;
a. Postdoctoral Research Program: Must hold a Doctoral degree (by February 28, 2022)
b. Professor Exchange Program: Must hold a Master s degree AND must be currently teaching at a university as a professor
c. Program for Education·Science·Culture·International Cooperation Professionals: Must hold a Master s degree AND must be a professional in a field of
Education, Science, Culture, or Inter national Cooperation (E.S.C.I.)
※ Applicants who are expected to graduate by August 31st , 2022 can also apply for the program with a certificate of expected graduation. (not applicable for applicants currently in a doctoral program)
4. SELECTION PROCEDURE (Embassy Track)
5. SCHOLARSHIP BENEFITS
6. CONTACT INFORMATION
a. Korean Education Center in San Francisco : email@example.com / 1-415-590-4057
b. Global Korea Scholarship Center, NIIED : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Learning Korean : www.sejonghakdang.org
- Korean Portal : www.korea.net
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs : www.mofa.go.kr
- Visa and Immigration : www.immigration.go.kr / www.hikorea.go.kr
- Higher Education in Korea : www.academyinfo.go.kr
[정부초청장학생] 2015 Korean Government Scholarship Program (KGSP)
3500 Clay St. San Francisco, CA 94118
Phone: (415) 590 - 4058 / Fax:(415) 921-5946 Email : email@example.com
Copyright © 2022 Korean Education Center in San Francisco. All Rights Reserved.
1. Program Objective
The Korean Government Scholarship Program is designed to provide higher education in Korea for international students, with the aim of promoting international exchange in education, as well as mutual friendship amongst the participating countries.
2. Total Number of Grantees
2015 KGSP Allocations by respective Korean Embassies : 493 candidates (from 156nations)/ The quota for the Korean Embassy in the U.S: 15 candidates
3. Duration of Scholarship
o Master’s (01.09.2015 ~ 31.08.2018) : 1 yr. of Korean language + 2 yrs of Master’s
o Doctoral (01.09.2015 ~ 31.08.2019): 1yr. of Korean language + 3 yrs of Doctoral
* (Important) After the Korean language course, the scholarship period of degree course (2 years of master’s or 3 years of doctoral) cannot be extended beyond the designated duration.
* In the case that a scholar possesses a TOPIK Level that is higher than 5, he or she is exempted from the Korean language course; the exempted period will be deducted from the total scholarship period (2 years for master’s or 3 years for doctoral).
* In the case that a scholar possesses a TOPIK Level 5 or 6, he or she must be exempted from the Korean language course and must start his/her academic course of Master or Doctoral degree; the exempted period will be deducted from the total scholarship period (2 years for master’s or 3 years for doctoral).
4. Application Requirements
o The applicant and his/her parents must have foreign citizenships.
* Applicants who hold Korean citizenship are not permitted to apply for this program. Therefore, Applicants and his/her parents who once had Korean citizenship must provide document regarding renunciation of Korean citizenship.
o Applicants should be in good health, both mentally and physically, to stay in Korea for an extended period of time.
* Applicants must submit the Personal Medical Assessment (included in the application form) when he/she apply for this program, and when it’s orientation, an Official Medical Examination will be done by NIIED. A serious illness (For example, HIV, Drug, etc) will be the main cause of disqualification from the scholarship.
※ The handicapped who satisfy the above are also eligible for the program
※ NOT Eligible: those who are pregnant (disqualified upon discovery)
o Applicants must be under 40 years of age as of Sep. 1st, 2015 (born after Sep. 1st, 1975).
o Applicants must hold a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree as of August 31st, 2015.
* (Important) Applicants who have ever enrolled in a university in Korea will be disqualified from applying to the KGSP program. Specifically, an applicant who has previously enrolled in an undergraduate program, a master’s program, a doctoral program including an exchange program (D-2 visa holders ever) in Korea cannot apply for this program.
o Applicants must maintain a grade point average (G.P.A.) of at least 2.64 on a 4.0 scale, 2.80 on a 4. 3 scale, 2.91 on a 4.5 scale, or grades/marks/score of 80% or higher from the previously attended institution.
* If an applicant does not satisfy the above GPA criteria, he/she will be disqualified from applying to this program.
o Scholarship Period : same as the period of invitation.
-Airfare: Round-trip economy class ticket.
* Airfare for entry will not be provided to scholars who are currently living in Korea for academic study or employment.
* The fees for domestic travel within a scholar’s home country and for travel insurance to and from Korea will not be provided.
-Monthly Allowance : 900,000 won (KRW) per month.
-Research Allowance : 210,000 won for scholars in the humanities and social sciences; 240,000 won for scholars in natural and mechanic sciences, per semester.
-Relocation (Settlement) Allowance : 200,000 won
-Language Training Fee : Full coverage
-Tuitions : All admission fees are waived by the host institution (university). The tuition is paid by NIIED.
-Dissertation Printing Costs : 500,000 ~ 800,000 won, depending on the actual costs.
-Medical Insurance : 20,000 won per month will be provided (limited coverage).
-Special funding for scholars who are proficient in the Korean language (TOPIK Level 5 or 6): 100,000 won per month (commencing from the degree program)
6. Selection Procedure Details
- (1st Selection) Korean Embassies
- (2nd Selection) NIIED Selection Committee selects as many successful candidates as each embassy quota amongst the pool of candidates recommended by the Embassies.
- (3rd Selection) NIIED submits the documents of successful candidates to their 3 universities of indicated preference and requests admission examination of the candidates into their master’s or doctoral programs.
7. Deadline of Submission: March 10, 2015
* Mailing address
Korean Education Center
3500 Clay St., San Francisco, CA 94118
Please refer to the attachments for more details and requirements.
Inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org / (415)590-4058